Beautiful, blue and bursting with flavor, Cascadian Farm® frozen organic blueberries are perfect to preserve year-round. With a touch of orange and some warming spices, this spread makes a great gift for any occasion and keeps well for up to six months.
Start to Finish: 12 hours PT12H0M
Makes: 8-16 servings
6 to 8 cloves
4 to 5 star anise
2 cinnamon sticks
3 bags Cascadian Farm® frozen organic blueberries
3/4 cup sugar
1 orange rind, cut into large pieces
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup orange juice
1. Using a vegetable peeler, remove the peel from the orange.
2. Bundle cloves, star anise, and cinnamon into a cheesecloth sachet or tea steeper. In a large stockpot over medium-low heat, combine blueberries, sugar, orange rind, water, orange juice, and sachet of spices. Cook for 1 hour until the spices have cooked through into a jam like consistency. Stir frequently.
3. When the mix has cooled, remove the sachet or tea steeper. Place preserves into mason jars and seal well.
4. Gently place jars in a large stockpot of boiling water. Make sure jars are fully submerged in the boiling water. Let sit in simmering water for 10 to 15 minutes to set. Jars should set by then. If not, they will seal while cooking.
5. Remove jars and set aside to cool and set. You will hear a “pop” noise when jars are sealed. Allow jars to set for 24 hours before opening.