A little lemon zest adds a kick to this cake loaded with Cascadian Farm® organic blueberries and raspberries. Pair with a side of creamy Greek yogurt for a smooth finish to this sweet perfection.
Start to Finish: 1 hour 30 minutes PT1H30M
CASCADIAN FARM® GRANOLA CRUMBLE TOPPING INGREDIENTS:
1 cup Cascadian Farm®organic Oats & Honey Granola
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 egg whites
1 tablespoon butter, cut into small cubes
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1 cup Cascadian Farm®frozen organic blueberries (toss with 2 tablespoons flour to prevent juice from bleeding)
1 cup Cascadian Farm®frozen organic raspberries (toss with 2 tablespoons flour to prevent juice from bleeding)
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
1/4 teaspoonsea salt
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup ripe mashed banana
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
Zest and juice of 1 whole lemon (reserve 1 tablespoon zest)
TO MAKE THE TOPPING:
In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients for the topping. Make sure to incorporate the butter cubes evenly into the crumble. Set aside.
TO MAKE THE CAKE:
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Lightly grease an 8-inch x 8-inch baking pan and line it with parchment paper.
2. In a separate small bowl, toss together the thawed frozen blueberries and raspberries, and 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, and sea salt.
4. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar together until well blended and creamy.
5. In a separate bowl, blend the mashed banana with the melted butter. Whisk until light and fluffy, making sure that there are no banana chunks remaining. Mix into the egg and sugar mixture, and then add the vanilla, buttermilk, and lemon zest and juice. Gradually add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, stirring to incorporate after each addition.
6. Gently fold in the blueberries and raspberries. Fill the pan with the cake batter.
7. Bake for 35-45 minutes. Remove the cake from the oven and add the crumble with the remaining 1 tablespoon lemon zest, spreading the topping evenly over the cake. Cook for another 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
8. Remove from the oven and let the cake cool slightly in the pan, then remove it from the pan and finish cooling on a rack.