A perfect winter brunch dish with crispy bacon, corn, and red peppers baked in a rich custard.
1 hour 30 minutes
Start to Finish: 3 hours PT3H0M
16 ounces Cascadian Farm frozen organic corn, thawed and drained
8 ounces bacon
1/2 medium white onion, diced
1/2 red pepper, diced
2 tablespoons bacon grease
3 large eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup pepper jack cheese
Salt and pepper
Savory Tart Crust:
1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
10 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
1 large egg
1. To make crust, combine flour, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Add butter and pulse a few times until the mixture resembles coarse sand.
2. Add in egg and pulse dough a few more times. It probably won’t come together into a ball on its own.
3. Remove dough from food processor and knead the dough a few times in a bowl. It should start to stick together and form a ball. If it doesn’t, feel free to add a tablespoon of ice water to help it stick.
4. Wrap dough ball in plastic wrap and let chill for an hour in the fridge.
5. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface until it is 12-14 inches in diameter. Work slowly so the dough doesn’t crack.
6. Transfer dough to a 10-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Press dough around the edges of the pan. Use any extra dough to repair any holes or cracks in the crust.
7. Lightly butter or oil a large piece of foil and press the foil on top of the tart crust, buttered side down.
8. Bake crust at 375 degrees F. for 25 minutes with foil on. Then remove foil and bake for another five minutes. The crust shouldn’t shrink much using this method.
9. Meanwhile, to make filling, chop bacon roughly and add to a large skillet over medium-low heat. Cook bacon slowly to render out fat. Cook until bacon is crispy, about 15-20 minutes. Remove bacon bits from pan and pour off bacon grease. Save about two tablespoons of grease in the pan.
10. Add onion and red pepper to pan and turn heat up to medium. Cook in bacon grease until veggies start to soften, about four minutes. Season veggies with a pinch of salt and pepper.
11. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and cream and set aside.
12. When veggies are cooked, add corn and cook for a minute or two. Stir crispy bacon back into the mix and season filling with salt and pepper.
13. Distribute corn filling over the baked tart crust. Then top filling with grated cheese.
14. Pour egg mixture over the filling slowly to make sure it is evenly distributed. Bake tart over a baking sheet (to catch any drippings) for 35 minutes at 375 degrees F. until custard is set in the center.
15. Let tart cool slightly and then lift out the tart using the removable bottom. Cut tart into eighths or sixths and serve immediately.