This pie is light and airy yet packed with flavor. Don’t be intimidated by the meringue. It’s very doable!
Start to Finish: 2 hours PT2H0M
3 10-ounce packages Cascadian Farm frozen strawberries
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
3 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
2 egg yolks
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 egg whites
4 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
5 tablespoons ice water
1. For the crust, stir together flour and salt in a medium bowl. Then cube the cold butter and use your fingers to work the butter into the flour mixture until it is in pea-sized pieces.
2. Add ice water to dry ingredients and stir until it forms a loose ball. Turn dough out onto a clean surface and knead once or twice. Then wrap tightly in plastic and chill for an hour while you work on the other layers.
3. To start the filling, add berries to a medium pot over medium heat along with sugar and salt. Cook until berries start to break down. Use a fork or potato masher to mash berries lightly. Simmer berries for about 10 minutes until they start to thicken. Stir regularly.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and water to form a slurry. Add slurry to the strawberry mixture.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk yolks. Remove filling from heat and let cool for a few minutes. Then slowly add 1/2 cup of filling to the yolks, whisking constantly as you add the filling. This will slowly heat up the yolks. Then whisk the yolk mixture back into the pot of filling. Return to heat.
6. Continue to cook filling until it thickens, about five more minutes. Stir in lemon and butter at the end and remove from heat.
7. For meringue, add egg whites to a very clean mixing bowl of a stand mixer (or you can use a hand mixer). Use the whisk attachment and begin beating whites on medium-high speed.
8. Add sugar and tartar as the egg whites. Mix for a minute or two and then add vanilla. Continue to whisk whites until they form very stiff peaks. They should hold their shape completely.
9. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Take the dough ball and roll it out on a lightly floured surface. Roll the dough out until it’s at least 12 inches in diameter and add to a pie pan. Use a fork to punch some holes in the pie crust. Press foil onto the crust and top pie with pie weights (or black beans) to keep the crust from puffing.
10. Bake crust for 12 minutes. Then remove foil and weights and bake for another 5 minutes.
11. Add filling to the baked pie crust and top with the meringue filling. Be sure to work the meringue filling all the way to the edges of the crust so it seals the filling into the pie.
12. Turn oven down to 350 degrees F. and return pie to oven for 15-17 minutes until meringue is lightly browned.
13. Remove pie and let cool completely before slicing and serving.