Tender shortcakes are layered with plump, sweet strawberries and real whipped cream, creating an incredibly decadent dessert.
Start to Finish: 1 hour PT1H0M
Makes: 12 servings
2 bags (10 oz each) Cascadian Farm® frozen organic strawberries, thawed (do not drain)
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 egg yolk, slightly beaten
1 teaspoon granulated or coarse decorating sugar
3/4 cup whipping cream
1. Heat oven to 400°F. In large bowl, mix strawberries (with juices) and 1/4 cup sugar; set aside.
2. In medium bowl, cut butter into flour, 1/3 cup sugar, the baking powder and salt, using pastry blender or 2 forks, until mixture looks like coarse meal. Stir in milk.
3. Place on lightly floured surface; knead 5 to 7 times or until dough forms. Pat dough 1/2 inch thick; cut out 12 circles with 2 1/2-inch round cutter. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Brush egg yolk over circles; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sugar.
4. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 15 minutes.
5. In chilled small bowl, beat whipping cream with electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. Split shortcakes in half crosswise. Spoon strawberries between halves and over tops. Top with whipped cream and additional strawberries.
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): Bake 15 to 18 minutes.