A rich and savory broccoli, rice, and cheddar filling baked inside a crispy pie crust.
Start to Finish: 1 hour 30 minutes PT1H30M
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/2 white onion, diced
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
2 cups cooked long grain white rice
10 ounces Cascadian Farm frozen broccoli, thawed and drained
2 cups (8 ounces) cheddar cheese, grated
Salt and pepper
1 frozen pie crust or puff pastry sheet
1. To start the filling, thaw broccoli in advance or thaw in microwave on low until broccoli is tender. Drain any excess liquid from broccoli. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. For pot pie filling, cook rice according to package and measure out two cups of cooked rice (about 1 cup of uncooked rice).
3. Melt butter in a medium pot over medium heat. Add diced onions and cook until onions are soft, about 4 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt.
4. Add flour to the onions and stir together to form a roux. Let the paste cook for a minute or two to cook out the flour taste and then slowly whisk in chicken or vegetable stock.
5. Bring mixture to a slight simmer and it should thicken into a light gravy. Stir in rice, broccoli, and cheese and stir to combine. Season filling with salt and pepper.
6. Divide filling between four small (7 ounce) ramekins or one larger 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
7. Roll out thawed pie crust or puff pastry and cut into rounds that are slightly larger than your baking dishes. Place rounds on top of the ramekins and crimp edges to make sure crust stays put.
8. Cut a few slits in the top of the crust to allow steam to escape and bake pot pies for 20-25 minutes until crust is golden brown.
9. Let the pot pies cool for at least 5 minutes before serving!