One-Pot Penne Bolognese
No need to chop onions, celery and carrots for this quick dinner! Cascadian Farm™ has you covered with convenient organic frozen mirepoix.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bag (10 oz) Cascadian Farm™ frozen organic mirepoix (onion, carrots and celery)
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 lb ground beef (at least 90% lean)
- 1 can (28 oz) Muir Glen™ organic fire roasted crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 carton (32 oz) beef broth
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 12 oz uncooked penne pasta (3 3/4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, if desired
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (2 oz)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
Step 1In 5-qt Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot. Cook mirepoix and salt in oil 5 to 8 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened. Add beef; cook 5 to 8 minutes, stirring frequently, until browned.
Step 2Stir in tomatoes. Stir in broth, Italian seasoning and pepper flakes; heat to simmering. Stir in pasta; return to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered 16 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until pasta is cooked to desired tenderness and sauce is thickened. Stir in balsamic vinegar. Top with Parmesan cheese and basil.
Tips & Tricks
- Balsamic vinegar adds depth and acidity to this comforting one-pot pasta dinner.
- Using 90% lean ground beef is a great trick for one-pots. Since the meat is leaner, there’s no need to drain after browning the beef.
1 1/3 Cups Calories 380 (Calories from Fat 100); Total Fat 11g (Saturated Fat 4g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 40mg; Sodium 1010mg; Total Carbohydrate 47g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 7g); Protein 22g
% Daily Value: Vitamin A 4%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 10%; Iron 25%;
Exchanges: 1 1/2 Starch, 1 Other Carbohydrate, 1 1/2 Vegetable, 2 Medium-Fat Meat,
Carbohydrate Choice: 3