Black Bean and Ham Soup
This easy weeknight soup combines Latin American flavors of onion, chiles, cumin and black beans with smoky ham for a bowl full of yum!
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 medium serrano chile, seeded and finely chopped (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 bag (10 oz) Cascadian Farm™ frozen organic black beans
- 1 cup chopped fully cooked ham (about 5 oz)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions (about 2)
Step 1In 2-quart saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, serrano chile, garlic, cumin and salt; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add frozen beans, ham and broth; heat to simmering. Cover; reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Using fork, lightly mash beans to thicken soup to desired consistency.
Step 2Divide among serving bowls; top with green onions.
Tips & Tricks
- Try with other toppings, like sour cream, cilantro and lime wedges.
- Add some spice to your soup by serving with your favorite hot sauce.