Chicken, Chickpea and Tomato Skillet
This easy skillet dinner starts with chicken thighs and is loaded with vegetables like chickpeas, tomatoes and fresh spinach. It will become a new weeknight favorite.
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 12 oz)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bag (10 oz) Cascadian Farm™ frozen organic chickpeas
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5 oz) Muir Glen™ organic fire roasted diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups lightly packed baby spinach
Step 1In 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season chicken with salt and thyme. Add to skillet; cook 4 to 6 minutes, turning once, until lightly browned. Stir in garlic, paprika and black pepper; cook 1 minute.
Step 2Add frozen chickpeas, broth and tomatoes; cover and cook 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until juice of chicken is clear when thickest part is cut (165°F) and bean mixture is thoroughly heated. Stir in spinach; remove from heat. Season with additional salt and pepper, as desired.
Tips & Tricks
- Serve over cooked rice or other grains. Want to add a little spice? Stir in 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper instead of black pepper.